A plan of the city and liberties of London showing the extent of the dreadful conflagration in the year 1666. Map drawn in 1772.
London Underground tube map dating from 1911.
Map of London dating from 1560. Drawn by Georg Braun and engraved by Franz Hogenberg who mapped many of Europe’s cities in the 16th Century.
From The Art Journal – The Exhibition of the Royal Academy at Somerset House, 1787. Wood engraved print, 1882.
Until 1814 the Custom House stood in the parish of All Hallows Barking, immediately to the east of the present site.
The site was long known as “Wool Quay”, and, from the medieval period, a custom house was necessary there to levy the duty payable on exported wool. Such a building is recorded as early as 1377. The quay and the buildings on it were privately owned. Around 1380, one John Churchman built a custom house there to collect dues for the City of London, and in 1382 the crown came to an agreement to use its facilities.
Churchman’s custom house remained in use until 1559, the freehold passing through various hands. Its replacement was erected under the direction of William Paulet, Marquess of Winchester, the Lord High Treasurer. A print from 1663 shows it as a three-storey building, with octagonal staircase towers. This structure was destroyed in the Great Fire of 1666.
Published August 21st 1817 by T Cadell and W Davies, Strand London.
View of Smith-Field. Publish’d July 21, 1794 by I Stockdale, Piccadilly.
E Dayes delr, W C Wilson sculpr
In the Middle Ages Smithfield was a broad grassy space known as Smooth Field, just outside the London Wall, on the eastern bank of the River Fleet. Due to its access to grazing and water, it was used as the City’s main livestock market for nearly 1000 years.
London from Temple Bar to Charing Cross, from Van der Wyngarde’s view.
This illustration depicts Ivy Bridge Lane – a typical gloomy Victorian London Street.
Butchers’ Row referred to a row of butchers’ shops on the south side of Aldgate High Street.
Arundel House was a town-house or palace located between the Strand and the Thames, near St Clement Danes.
It was originally the town house of the Bishops of Bath and Wells, during the Middle Ages. In 1539 it was given to William Fitzwilliam, Earl of Southampton. The Roman Baths, Strand Lane were situated within the grounds, and remain in the ownership of the National Trust.
Wych Street was a street in London, roughly where Australia House now stands on Aldwych. It ran west from the church of St Clement Danes on the Strand to a point towards the southern end of Drury Lane. The street was demolished by the London County Council in around 1901, as part of the redevelopment that created the Kingsway and Aldwych.
Old Cockspur Street. Illustration from Old and New London by Edward Walford (Cassell, c 1880).
On the right is the Fire Station of the Phoenix company – at this time, fire services are provided by independent companies who race one another to the scene of the fire.